Sunday 3 July 2016

money vs friend

only lend money to friends if you don't mind not getting it back

Money is a sensitive issue.
It has the ability to ruin, rock or make relationships complicated.
That's why people often say we shouldn't make money an agenda when it comes to relationship with people - be it family, friends, or your significant other.

How much do you have?
How much do you make?
Would you lend me some money?
You still owe me 50 cents.

Also because of its complicated nature, money can be used to gauge how strong is your relationship with another person or how much you trust each other. The stronger the relationship, the more you won't see money as an issue between the two of you. You're more willing to reveal/sacrifice without a second thought.

Recently, I have a friend who asked if he could borrow $600 from me.

$600 is a fairly small amount to borrow for 'emergency'.

$600 can also be easily cashed out from a credit card or overdrawn from a debit card.

Why would a professional with a permanent full time job not have $600 in his bank account?

Why just $600? And why me?

What if I didn't lend it to him and he ends up in a bad situation?

What if he really needed this badly?

When asked what happened, he refused to elaborate.
'Something came up suddenly, but nothing serious.'

I respect his privacy but don't I deserve to know what my $600 is for?

I asked a couple of trusted common friends about what they think about borrowing $600 to this friend of ours.

One said he doesn't mind borrowing but he wants to know what is it for.
One said no, because of past bad experiences of lending money to people.
Fair enough.

I could have asked a few more friends but I decided it might be bad for his reputation. It should be between the two of us to start with.

Eventually, I lent it to him.
I also prepared myself for the worst, that I might not be getting the $600 back.
If the worst happens, it's a $600 lesson of Don't Borrow Money to Anyone. Once and for all.

Someone who has the courage to ask for $600 without the slightest thought/respect that people ought to know what their money is gonna be used for - is quite a disrespectful person, in my opinion.
Just because I know better to respect you, doesn't mean you can take advantage of it and put me at a disadvantaged position. It's like taking a friend for granted.

On the other hand, I offered to help a friend who's been behind on credit card payment.
=_="
No, I'm not filthy rich.
I just wanted to help a friend pay less on credit card interest.
Although the amount is more than $600, I didn't need a second thought as I'm certain I'll get my money back. I've got nothing to lose.
This friend also has nothing to hide so I'm clear of what I'm paying for.

For the one who took the $600, this will be the first and last time.
Besides teaching me not to lend money to anyone, it also taught me that it's hard to trust someone who doesn't trust you in the first place.
Never ask for help if you're not ready to be naked with your stories; it only leaves people with more doubt about you and your personal values - that you aren't an honest person.

Before borrowing money from a friend, decide which you need more. The money or the friend.

So, he who borrows money from a friend and doesn't bother explaining himself, must have valued the money more than the friend?

I'm glad that I'm at a position which allows me to help them financially.
It's a blessing to be able to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment