Thursday 25 August 2016

career chapter 2 - end -

experience which gives the 'cider' taste stays for a long time 

Resignation tendered.
Contract signed.
In 4 weeks, I'll be finishing off with the 2nd company of my career life.

It was a short, bittersweet experience of 15 months. 
With every journey - good or bad - that we go through in life, we should get wiser, grow stronger, and gain something out of it.

Thinking back, because of this job...

- I moved out of my comfort zone in the eastern suburbs of Sydney - the place I called home for the last 8 years since arriving in Australia.
- I was exposed to and get to know a new side of Sydney - the north and northwest suburbs.
- I made some new friends due to the new geographical location that I'm in.
- I met a team leader who taught me patience and allowed me to show my skills due to his incompetencies.
- I made a few 'close' colleagues due to the small company size. We gossipped, we teased, we had timtam and popcorn time-outs, long lunches and tea breaks, we enjoyed the days out of office for site inspections.
- I became more approachable and accustomed to the small-talk culture because people are more closely-connected in small companies compared to when you have 250 people in a company, you'd have more acquaintances than friends.
- I kicked start my engineering chartership after 7 years, just because it was enforced upon us. I wouldn't have started it otherwise.
- I learned that startup companies could be a pile of mess even if they do have an established parent company.
- The 7 main things that keep people from quitting: money, career growth, significance, work scope, support, people, and environment. I only scored 1/7 for this company unfortunately.
- I had the opportunity to interview people, which allows me to experience interview session from the other side of the boardroom. Apart from skills and characteristics, FATE too plays a part in landing you the job offer.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Cheers to a more colourful journey ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment